Rainfall Collection Calculator
How can I figure out how much rainfall is needed to fill my barrels?
The easy way: A calculator
The harder way: Nitty-gritty details
- 1 gallon = 231 cubic inches ≈ .1337 cubic feet
- 1 square foot = 144 square inches
- Surface area of the roof draining into barrels (Hint: you do not need to take into account the pitch, or slant, of your roof. You do have to take into account what fraction of your roof is emptying into rain barrels.For example, if you have a simple roof, say a rambler style house, and all the downspots in the back empty into rainbarrels, then the surface area emptying into rain barrels would be approximately 1/2 the width of your house times the length of your house. If you have two downspouts in the back and only one empties into a rain barrel, than it might be more like 1/4 the width times the length.)
(total capacity of barrels in gallons x 231)
---------------------------------------------------- = # of inches of rainfall to fill
(surface area in inches of roof draining into barrels)
- My house is about 60 feet long by 25 feet wide and half my roof empties into rain barrels, so the surface area in inches is 60 x 25 x 1/2 x 144 = 108,000 square inches
- I have 4 rain barrels at the backyard downspouts and they are 55 gallons each, so 4 x 55 = 220 gallons
So, (220 x 231) / (108,000) = 0.47 inches of rainfall needed
...that's less than a half inch of rain to fill my rain barrels with 220 gallons of water!
Now that you know how much rain you can collect, you might
want to know where it's use is recommended or discouraged.
Your PayPal donation helps keep this site available. Thank you! And, as a bonus, when you donate at least $5, we'll email you a pdf document that has the parts list from below, plus additional useful information: assembly directions fully illustrated with pictures.
These pages are for informational purposes only.
All text and images © 2005-2012 Garden Goddess Beki-Rebekah. All rights reserved. No part of this information may be reproduced or transmitted by any means, except by permission in writing from the author. News-related announcements, reports, or references can be made (and are appreciated! J ) as long as a link to the website above is included.
This website brought to you by the fine folks at Lizard Revolution Software